Monday, August 2, 2010

Sort of Settled

As it turns out, the host families for the language school portion of the year are more like boarding house situations. My "family" is two parents and a grown daughter who is spending her college summer vacation living in an apartment in downtown Cologne. The parents are vacationing in Indonesia right now so I have the house mostly to myself. Honestly, I am happy for the opportunity to brush up my German a little at language school before they come back so we can have some real-er conversations.


I tried halfheartedly to sprinkle the welcome-dinner conversation with little German phrases and simple sentences, but mostly the daughter and her boyfriend kept things going in English. Starting tomorrow, only German! Even if we only talk about hobbies and going to the park! We ran into a neighbor outside, and any delusions I might have still had about my German ability quickly evaporated. They had a rapid conversation about anyone's guess, while I tried to look a little like I was following the whole thing. I guess it is nice to have so much room for improvement!


I am responsible for my meals (the welcome dinner of waffles and chicken was an exception), so I spent a little time exploring my new kitchenette. The previous Korean student generously left me some kim chee sauce, a box of chocolate covered ginger bitters, and a rather large block of lard. Possibilities!!!


Tomorrow's Adventure: Handy Einkaufen! (Cell phone shopping!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so inspired to restart my blog too, although God knows what adventures are possible in Cleveland. No blocks of lard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, blocks of lard are definitely possible in Cleveland. Maybe not desirable, but definitely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so excited for you, sister! Tell me more about the daughter? Good luck for your first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lard is good for everything...or you can actually begin your soap-making attempts. Also, I can comment using my livejournal account? That's crazy, but expect more comments from me.

    ReplyDelete