Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Der Anfang des Deutschkurs

I wish everyone in Germany spoke like my new German teacher. Life would be made in the shade! She enunciates everything and uses such a nice, accessible vocabulary! I like it. My little class is made up of all Americans from our program, which is unusual, but at least we all know each other. We got a lot done today--played an introduce yourself/riddle game, practiced a little reading comprehension about homesickness, dug our teeth into a little grammar, and finished up with a German board game. I hope we get to watch poorly produced German Textbook dramas also! But maybe it is too much to wish to return to the golden days at BBHS.


I met up with some other Americans tonight to see Inception at a theater known for showing movies in their original languages with German subtitles. I was impressed; they had salty AND sweet popcorn at the snack stand, and they had big crates to put your empty soda bottles into after the film! Germans have things figured out. I really liked the movie but was worried by the end. Like everyone probably.


The movie ended a little late, so I had my first experience out and about in Germany after hours (Whatever, judgers! I've only been here four days! I like to feel refreshed!) and Cologne's population was taking full advantage of all the open container laws. People were just walking along, chilled beer in hand, or were enjoying a drink on the train on the way to their next Partyzeit. It was all very civilized, except for one unfortunate man who looked a little stumbly. On the whole, though, Germany looked like it could handle its liquor laws.


I spilled salt on my dinner. It was already pretty mediocre (just cooked eggplant and onions and boiled eggs) and this made it a little more disappointing. Better luck next time, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Your life sounds so exciting! Even things like visiting the DMV and open container laws sound riviting in your accessible prose. Also, your blogging is quite consistent these past few days - your American admirers appreciate it. I LEAVE IN A WEEK, AHH. But Cleveland is not so much a foreign country to make blogging appreciated by anyone, I don't think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling living in Cleveland will have LOTS of blogging material, due to the certain, ahh, "distinctions", it has been awarded this year. I think it sounds very interesting. And at least your mom will always read it! I make my blog email every new post to my mom to encourage/force her to read them, and also to ensure that I am not talking to myself out here in cyberspace. I am sure she appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you watch the same textbook dramas that I did? Have we discussed this? Do the names Holger, Bjorn or Jens mean anything to you? Was there possible incest and homoerotiscim? Komm Mit?

    ReplyDelete