Friday, June 12, 2009

Finally Current!

Kal bahut garam tha. Yesterday was very hot. I don't know if I can really tell when the temperature goes from just normal Rajasthan hot to extra Rajasthan hot, but my host mother didn't bother getting dressed yesterday because it was going to be so hot. It was 44 C, which I think is around 111 F. I spent most of the day in a village about thirty minutes outside of Jodhpur called Kherda. Maybe it was the heat, but I was pretty crabby for a lot of it. We weighed about 20 children all under 3. All of them were pretty lively. A lot of mothers here put eyeliner on their children. It's kind of cute, but it just gets really smudged so they look kind of raggedy. It's a look, I guess. The deeper into the village we got, the more picturesque it became. Happy goats strolled, cows relaxed majestically under big trees near thatched huts. I forgot my camera, unfortunately.

Last night Anitaji made Indian chow mein. It was delicious, just like everything she makes. She even made the noodles herself. Chow mein was followed by various yogurt/chutney smothered fried things, mango shakes, and syrup soaked donut holes. I really need to learn the real names of things; they always tell me, but hindi is hard for me to remember. We also had a Rajasthani special--take a chapati, pour ghee, chili powder, dried coriander, and salt on top, mix up the spices and ghee into a paste, and then dip more chapati in it! As my host father said, "It's instant vegetable!" I think we maybe have different ideas of what vegetables are. It was tasty, though.

Ajh bahut garam hoga. Today is going to be hot. Time to brace myself and head out into the heat.

1 comment:

  1. Eruhl!! This is sooo cool. Still can't believe you are in India! Hope you're health stays good and you eats lots of delicious food. Learn how to make it then show me!! Keep up the blog...Grace

    ReplyDelete